Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

Examine the Principles

I taught my students a variation of a couple techniques last night. The one joint lock we were performing was a basic arm bar. The foot work I had them using was different from the basic footwork I teach with the arm bar in the curriculum, but was the same footwork I teach with another of the basic locks I teach. The point was to realize how correct locks, footwork, posture, and movement can be interchanged to meet different situations.

As you progress in your art, you should examine the underlying principles that make your art work. Footwork, posture, and movement mean so much in generating power, keeping your balance, and making techniques more effective. Study the basics and learn how they apply in different situations and you will increase your ability as a martial artist.

Train Hard and Train Smart - Alain

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?